roses - Knowledgebase Question

Essexville, Mi
Question by jrwillett
What do I do to prepare my roses for winter? How much and when should rose bushes be trimmed down.

0

The answer to your question depends to some extent on what kinds of roses you are growing. The old fashioned shrub roses and modern landscaping roses do not need any special care beyond the suggested year round layer of mulch about three inches deep. Hybrid tea roses considered hardy in your area might appreciate a bit of extra protection such as a mound of soil or extra mulch over the base of the canes. This extra layer of insulation should be put in place late in the season, once the ground has frozen. It should be removed in stages next spring. Hybrid teas may also be trimmed back somewhat in the fall to keep the winter wind from whipping overly long canes and damaging them. Then prune them back harder in the spring to remove any winter damage and to optimize blooming. Your local chapter of the American Rose Society may have more specific suggestions depending on the particular roses you are growing. You might also want to look at a book or two about roses. One I particularly like is Roses for Dummies by Lance Walheim, ISBN0-7645-5031-4. It includes useful diagrams and instructions for winter care, pruning, etc. Good luck with your roses!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"