Help my evergreens - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by reidcandice
I had 3 evergreen trees planted in May 2009 and the rescent rain I'm thinking is killing the trees. In the center of the tree is completely dead leaves but the outer is green. What to do?

Although evergreens remain green all year around, the oldest foliage - that found near the center of the tree - does eventually die out. So what you are seeing may be normal for the type of evergreens you are growing. The outer growth maintains the evergreen appearance and in the spring, new growth will help the plant look thicker and more dense. On the other hand, water stress issues can cause dieback, as can an infestation of spidermites. These little pests can usually be detected by looking for webbing they leave between the stems and the leaves. Or you can hold a piece of white paper within the center branches and sharply tap the branches. Some debris will fall onto the paper. If you see tiny little spots that move, there is an infestation of spidermites. A neem oil based pesticide or a miticide will help control these critters. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your evergreens!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"