Fig Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Long Beach, Ca
Question by pepassport
I have a small fig tree 4ft in a pot. I am thinking of putting it in the ground but I wonder if it will grow too big for my garden. Do they have a large root structure, what other plants grow well with them? (So.California)

There are two trees with the common name "fig". One bears fruit and the other is an evergreen ornamental tree. The type of fig that bears fruit (Ficus carica) can be pruned each spring and kept small. The ornamental fig (Ficus benjamina) will grow really large, even if you prune it back each year, and the roots are considered invasive, especially if you have a small yard. For this type of tree, I'd recommend keeping it in a container or a large planter box so you can control the size and keep the roots from invading your entire yard. You can plant any annual or perennial near or around your fig tree. Choose the color you like best. Enjoy your landscape.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"