drainage problem - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Mill, So
Question by cava8999
I just had my lawn aerated and seeded. My back yard has a drainage that turns into a small stream when it rains and/or when I have my irrigation on. What can I do to get the grass to germinate without being washed away?
The width is about 2.5 feet by 50 feet. It was created by the builder so there isn't much I can do to change it.

I'm not sure I understand your question - or maybe you've left out a few words. It sounds as though you have a drainage ditch installed by the builder that runs the length of your lawn and rainwater, or water from the sprinklers drains into it. That's a good thing. Now that you have seeded the lawn you should water by hand until it sprouts and grows about an inch high. By then the roots should be established enough to hold it in place when you use your sprinkler system. Once the lawn is established it should drain well whether the water comes from rain or from the hose.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"