Bougainvillea Barbara Karst - Knowledgebase Question

Carlsbad, Ca
Question by liz_ronchett
Hi,I have just bought some bougainvilllea Barbara Karst and they are tied to a stake. Stupid question but do I leave them tied or untie them?

Not a stupid question at all! Your Barbara Karst bougainvillea will eventually turn into an upright shrub with cascading or flowing branches - once the main stems mature and become woody. While they are young they can be trained by staking them upright. If you remove the stake the branches will try to cascade down and creep along the ground. I'd keep it staked for now. Check periodically to make sure the ties are not cutting into the stems. Replace the stake with a larger one next summer and replace the ties as required so they don't cut into the stems. As soon as the stems turn woody they will be able to hold the plant upright. Hope this provides some guidance. Enjoy your beautiful bougainvillea!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"