mums - Knowledgebase Question

Kensington, Ma
Question by annkavi
How to deal with mums? I've heard they are actually perennials, but I've never really seen anyone successfull in planting them in the ground. ususally just in containers and then gone? any suggestions

0

I understand your confusion over mums! Plants labeled garden mums or perennial mums, will winter over in your gardening region. But there are other mums available, generally referred to as greenhouse mums or florist's mums. These plants have been forced under ideal conditions to flower at certain times of the year. They are much more tender and are not suitable for growing outdoors. These are generally considered annuals and are tossed out at the end of the fall season. If you purchase mums labeled garden or perennial mums, you can plant them outdoors and they will winter over without problem. After frost kills the tops of the plants, cut the foliage off at just about ground level and cover over the plants with a thick mulch. You can use compost, shredded leaves, or pine boughs to help protect the crowns of the plants. In the spring they will sprout new stems. Hope this clears up the confusion!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"