butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa) - Knowledgebase Question

Coral Springs, Fl
Question by lipollack
I have thousands of vey tiny yellow bugs on my plant and do not know what they are and if they are harmful to my garden.Could you please help ?

Butterfly weed attracts a large number of insects and insect eaters so I'm not sure if those you are finding are beneficial or destructive. Yellow aphids seem to like butterfly weed so that might be what you are finding, especially if they are congregating on the tender new growth. You can control most insect pests by simply hosing them off with a strong stream of water from the hose. Specifically, you can control aphids with applications of insecticidal soap. If you really cannot identify the insects, collect some in a plastic baggie and take them to your local nursery. Helpful folks there can identify them for you. Best wishes with your butterfly weed!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"