hostas - Knowledgebase Question

Kensington, Ma
Question by annkavi
I transplanted a couple of hostas this summer to a new location in my garden, but unfortunately they seem to have been effected by slugs of some sort b/c i've noticed the leaves have some holes, and also some of the leaves have turned yellowish. would it be better for me to transfer them back to the raised bed to save them, considering it's fall? thank you

0

Most hostas grow best in shady gardens. If your plants are getting too much sunshine the leaves will turn yellow. If it is in a shady spot, the yellowing leaves can be normal for this time of year, or could indicate they are getting old and need to be cut away from the plant. As long as the new growth in the center of the plant is healthy, a few yellow leaves shouldn't cause concern. If the entire plant is turning yellow, it might be time to move it to a better place. Snails and slugs love hosta leaves. They hid in debris and mulch during the day and feed at night. You can try trapping them or using one of the slug baits. I use Sluggo. It's iron based and harmless to wildlife, people and pets. Whatever is not consumed by slugs or snails breaks down into simple iron. You might give it a try. Best wishes with your hostas!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"