Growing Vegetables in the winter - Knowledgebase Question

Lockport, Il
Question by miczako
I built a terraced garden that I wanted to start using next spring. I'm anxious to get started. Are there any vegetables that I can grow in the winter time in the Chicago area?

I'm afraid not, even with a cold frame or covered raised bed, temperatures will get too cold over the winter months for vegetables. You can extend your vegetable gardening season by planting cool season veggies in August for harvest in November but once November arrives, not much will grow. Early next spring you can plant cool season veggies (cabbage, broccoli, peas) and then plant the majority of your warm season veggies. In the late summer when you've harvested them you can plant cool season veggies again. This way you'll get 6-7 months of an actively growing vegetable garden. Enjoy your new garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"