soil mixture - Knowledgebase Question

HOLIDAY, Fl
Question by martinelling
I have mostly limestone and sand in my back yard I would like to put down a top soil mixture how deep should I put the mixture 1, 2 feet. In addition is there anything I should add to regular top soil to make it drain better and make my flowers grow bigger and heartier thanks, Marty

0

You can spread mulch material over your garden now. Improving soil can take a few years but it can be done. Start by spreading 4-5 inches of packaged compost, aged manure or topsoil mix over the entire area and digging it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Plant your flowers or veggies and spread an additional 2-3 inches over the bare soil between the plants. At the end of the gardening season dig the mulch into the soil and spread a few inches of fresh organic matter over the bare soil. Repeat on an annual basis and in a few years you will have rich garden loam.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"