soil mixture - Knowledgebase Question

Question by martinelling
I have mostly limestone and sand in my back yard I would like to put down a top soil mixture how deep should I put the mixture 1, 2 feet. In addition is there anything I should add to regular top soil to make it drain better and make my flowers grow bigger and heartier thanks, Marty

You can spread mulch material over your garden now. Improving soil can take a few years but it can be done. Start by spreading 4-5 inches of packaged compost, aged manure or topsoil mix over the entire area and digging it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Plant your flowers or veggies and spread an additional 2-3 inches over the bare soil between the plants. At the end of the gardening season dig the mulch into the soil and spread a few inches of fresh organic matter over the bare soil. Repeat on an annual basis and in a few years you will have rich garden loam.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"