Dahlia - Knowledgebase Question

Cartersville, Ge
Question by ktm18
I have a Dahlia bulb that I never planted earlier this year. It's starting to grow shoots / leaves from it's packaging - do I plant it outside now or should I plant it in a container for indoors and save for next year?

Your dahlia tuber won't live much longer unless it has a chance to develop stems and leaves. Although you can plant it outdoors now, it probably won't have an opportunity to grow this season and will probably die over the winter months. You could try planting it in a container and keeping it indoors where it will have a chance to develop stems and leaves, but without bright sunshine it probably won't develop well. I hate to be wasteful, but I think I would just toss the tuber and purchase a healthy new one next spring - and plant it right away!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"