School garden - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Raluca Pimenta
San Diego, Ca
Question by ralucacoman
We are trying to start a garden at my kids' school. Is there anything we can plant now (October)? I was thinking perhaps some fruit trees? Also, what veggies are hardy and easy to grow that we can plan on planting in the spring? Would you recommend a raised structure, pots, etc.? Lastly, how do we keep rabbits out?

You can plant fruit trees now so that's the first thing I'd do. There are a few cool season veggies that should grow well if you plant them now. Leaf lettuces can be harvested in 5-6 weeks, peas like cool weather, carrots will grow tops in just a few weeks but will take about 45-60 days to develop roots large enough to eat. Radishes will sprout right away. You can also plant bok choy, cabbage and broccoli if you'd like to start some now. As for the rabbits - the only way to keep them from consuming your plants is to fence your garden. Hardware cloth buried 6" into the ground and 18-24" high will help keep them out of your garden. Enjoy your project!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"