Brussel Sprouts - Knowledgebase Question

Sherman Oaks, Ca
Question by mary_sachs
When will I know my B-S are ready. I have 3 beautiful plants with lots of sprouts that seen like they have been growing for months. I picked a few larger ones off the plant but they were not good. Can you give me some direction when and how I will be ready to eat them. I can't wait, they are looking so good. Maybe I planted them to early in the spring???? help

Usually Brussels sprouts are picked from the bottom of the stem working upward. They can be picked as soon as they are large enough to eat (about 1" in diameter, with tightly curled leaves). As you harvest, remove the leaf associated with the sprout. To harvest, cut the little heads off with a sharp knife. If your sprouts are starting to "unfurl", they may not taste very good. They may even start to form flower buds and blossoms. Harvesting them should encourage the plants to continue producing more sprouts. Continue to harvest regularly to keep the plants in production. Most often they are planted about four months before the expected harvest, with harvest tradtionally being done in the fall. The reason for this is that they taste better when they mature during cool weather and can even withstand frosts and snowy weather.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"