Frut tree,Apricot - Knowledgebase Question

Bethesda, Ma
Question by lchang
I have an apricot tree that's about 20 years or older.I used to get June drop,so no fruit or just a few that dropped in June or July (block dots on skin,but very sweet.About 10 years ago, the tree suddenly was covered with big peach size fruit, and very sweet. Then again nothing since. The tree grew tilted and small shoots grows all over even to neighbor's yard.How can I make it fruit?

If your tree is healthy and blooming on time but dropping fruits it might be that pollen is not being transferred or the tree is setting more fruit than it can mature so it's going through a natural thinning process - except in this case it is dropping everything. Fruit trees can get into an alternate bearing habit, as well, where it produces a nice crop but then won't produce then following year. I don't know what to suggest other than to make sure it is getting adequate water - the water you provide now will affect next year's fruit production - and consider thinning when fruit is 1-inch in diameter. Space fruit 6 inches apart to see if that doesn't help your tree retain fruit next year. Hope so!

Members of the prunus family (apricots, plums, cherries, etc.) tend to sucker freely and the best approach is to cut the suckers down as soon as they appear. There is a product on the market called Sucker Stopper that might work, but you'll want to thoroughly read the product label to make sure it is safe to apply to your tree. Good luck with your apricot tree!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"