Fountain repair - Knowledgebase Question

Sunnyvale, Ca
Question by davyuan
I have one old stone fountain from prior owner. Every one or two days I have to refill the water. I can see some small cracks at the bottom. How can I fix the fountain leaking? Thank you!

Although some water will evaporate from a fountain, especially during hot weather, if you see small cracks in the bottom, they may be the source of a water leak. You can fix this by cleaning and scrubbing the fountain and then letting it dry completely. It might take a week to completely dry. Once it is completely dry and clean inside you can seal the stone on all sides with a transparent masonry sealant that penetrates the surface of the stone. If the stone is not completely dry it may cause the sealant to become milky and not stick, destroying the look of your piece. Make sure you get a sealant that is rated for full immersion. If you're not sure about the product, ask one of the Home Depot sales associates if it is suitable for use in a water fountain. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"