fertilizing house plants - Knowledgebase Question

bronx, Ne
Question by sshipp3571
We just our houseplants back into the house for winter. I have heard that they shouldn't be fed once they are back inside. Is that true?

0

Wellll... that depends. As a rule, houseplants do not grow as fast during the winter months as they do in the spring and summer months. As a result, they don't need much fertilizer. On the other hand, houseplants are tropical in nature and they respond to warm indoor temperatures and bright light levels by growing. So, the answer depends upon the plant. Watch for new growth. If you see little to none, don't fertilize. If you see new growth, go ahead and feed your plants. I like to use a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer on my houseplants and feed every 3-4 weeks. This half strength dilution provides all the nutrients they need without the fear of overfeeding and burning the roots. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"