Right Soil pH for Fruit Trees - Knowledgebase Question

huntignton beach, Ca
Question by ossama7654
Greetings,

I have planted fruit trees in my yard over 9 years ago. Some have flourished while others have not grown at all despite adequate watering and nutrients. I tested the pH of soil for each fruit tree and the results showed the soil to be acidic (pH ranging between 3.5 - 6.0). I bought lime to mix with the soil to bring the pH up closer to 7.0, but wanted to ask your opinion first.

0

It sounds as though you already know that soils which are too acidic or too alkaline can bind up nutrients and make them unavailable to plant roots, regardless of how often you fertilize. With this in mind, Citrus trees prefer a pH of 5.5 to 6.5 and most other types of fruit trees prefer a pH of 6.0 to 6.5. The area that's 3.5 is really out of kilter and you'll want to mellow the soil with applications of lime. Don't bring it all the way up to 7.0, though. 6.0 - 6.5 will be fine. Lime takes a while to work so don't expect immediate results, but rest assured you're doing the right thing and over time your fruit trees will thank you.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "