Lawn weeds - Knowledgebase Question

Pensacola, Fl
Question by charbros
How do I get control of the weeds in my yard? I am from the north and am learning how to garden in the south

0

The process depends upon the weeds in question and the type of turfgrass you are growing. Hand pulling is a good first step, and keeping your lawn thick and healthy through regular watering and mowing will also help reduce the weed population. There are products such as weed and feed for southern lawns that can be applied in the fall and in the spring when the temperatures are cooler. There are also pre emergent herbicides to help keep weed seeds (such as crabgrass) from sprouting. Have your turfgrass and the weeds in question identified through a well staffed nursery or your local cooperative extension office. Once you know your turf you can choose products that won't harm the turf (some are very sensitive to weed killers) but will help control the weeds. Wish I could be more specific but without knowing the grass type, or the invading weeds, I'm concerned I might suggest a product that will damage your turf.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"