Lawn with brown spots from killed weeds - Knowledgebase Question

Kapolei, Ha
Question by belosey
Our once thick lawn was full of clover and other weeds so I sprayed it with Weed-begon. It left hugs spots of brown. I live in a dry part of Hawaii and have a sprinkler system. I just put on a fertilizer 10-8-8. How often should I water and what else could I do to help green up the lawn?

0

I'd rake out the bare spots and reseed them now - before other weeds decide the spots are a nice place to grow. The thicker your lawn, the fewer weed problems you'll have. After broadcasting the seeds, sprinkle a little compost or peat moss over the seeds to help keep them moist. Water several times a day to keep the seeds moist. You may be able to water the spots by hand. If there are many spots, you can simply turn on your sprinkler system. The important thing is to keep the seeds moist so they can germinate rapidly. Once the seeded areas and thick and green and you've mowed the lawn 3 times, you can apply a fertilizer to the grass to further green it up. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"