weed grass - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, Ma
Question by themacleodfa
I have patches of wide blade weed grass (not crabgrass) that I can not get rid of. It is a little lighter color than the the grass around it. Have tried weed and feed and the Ortho spray weed control. All it does is yellow it and slow it down a bit. Do you know what it is and how to kill it? Thanks Bruce

If the blades are velvety, it's probably Dallis grass. If not, it's probably barnyard grass. Either one is difficult to control. I'd recommend digging the clumps out, roots and all and reseeding the bare areas. In the spring you can try Scotts Halts Crabgrass preventer (it works on dallis grass and barnyard grass as well as crabgrass). Be sure to follow application directions on the package. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"