noise blocking shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Oneonta, Ne
Question by kathleencau
What can I do to block the street noise in my house? What bushes are the strongest and would still not block seeing the road when leaving the driveway. Thanks.

If you plant in layers, or rows, you can effectively block street noise. Start with the tallest closest to the street, come in several feet and plant medium height shrubs, then plant a third row of shorter plants. This barrier should keep most of the noise on the street side of your plantings. You can plant Thuja Green Giant or Leyland Cypresses for the tallest component, hollies or yews for the medium sized plants and privet, boxwoods or junipers for the smaller sizes. Set back by 4-6' the tallest shrubs and keep them trimmed so they don't interfere with your line of sight when exiting the driveway.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"