I get Worms in my Peppers - Knowledgebase Question

Lincoln Park, Mi
Question by gocon59619
What kind of worms get into peppers, both jalopino and green peppers. They gt in without a trace and destroy the peppers from the inside. This year they got ALL my peppers. What are they and what can I do to prevent them? They are pale in color and about 1/4 inch long.

What you describe can be one of several worms that infest pepper plants. These include the pepper hornworm, the tobacco hornworm, the beet armyworm, corn earworm, fruit worm and the pepper maggot. These bore into the pepper and eats from the inside out.

Regardless of the type of worm, they can all be controlled with a product called BT. BT (Bacillus Thuringiensis), more commonly sold under the brand names Green Step, Dipel or Thuricide. It is a dust that is non-toxic to humans and beneficials but highly effective against caterpillars. cabbage worms, and hornworms. As with other organic insecticides such as pyrethrum and rotenone, you can purchase this product locally at many garden centers. Be sure to apply according to label directions.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"