Mandevilla - Knowledgebase Question

Dorchester, Ma
Question by Jiggijac
I have a small mandevilla in a pot that was outdoors all summer. I brought it inside. How do I care for it during the winter?

Mandevilla is a tender plant that survives outdoors only in the mildest climates. Since yours is in a container, you need only to bring it indoors when your weather begins to cool down. The best place to keep it indoors is in a sunny window. Mandevilla can be pruned down to about 3' without harm, but wait until it has acclimated to growing indoors before pruning it back. We recommend you move it in gradually to help it become adjusted to living indoors by taking it inside during the night and taking it back outdoors during the day. Do this for about a week, leaving it inside for longer and longer periods of time until it is spending 24 hours a day indoors. The whole process should take less than a week. After it has been indoors for a few weeks you can prune it down to a more manageable size. Mandevilla can grow to 12' as a vine, but it can be kept at about 3' with constant pinching and pruning. Since you'll be wintering your plant over each year, you'll probably want to keep it small. Under the right conditions of heat and light your Mandevilla will bloom indoors for you. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"