Orange Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Vacaville, Ca
Question by raloucel
My tree is full of small green oranges.Many are starting to ripen, cracking open and falling off. What can I do.

Those that are falling off are probably doing so because of a natural thinning process. Citrus trees often set more fruit than they can develop and they just drop them - often for no apparent reason. I am concerned, though, that some of them are splitting. This often is due to overwatering. The cells inside the oranges absorb too much water and the skins cannot grow fast enough to accommodate the fluids so they crack and split. Cold weather can cause the same problem. So if you think you're watering just right, chalk it up to natural thinning and/or weather related problems. If you think you're overwatering, cut back on the frequency of water applications. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"