Pecan Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Richmond, Te
Question by vidaeris
I have tried to find various plants, trees and such, without any luck. How can I find out more? Some of the ones that I was trying are; Pecan trees, Calycanthus, Avocado tree, etc.

Pecan is the Texas state tree so you know they grow well in your area. Pecans are native to river and creek bottoms, the soils of which are deep, fertile and well-drained and have substantial water-holding capacity. Pecans require at least 3 feet of well-drained soil above the minimum depth of the water table to develop a strong root system. Pecans planted on shallow soils having poor internal drainage never develop into large, productive trees.

Bareroot pecan trees can be planted from December through mid-March in most of Texas. It is important that roots remain slightly moist, but not wet, at all times between nursery digging and planting. If you are not ready to plant at the time of purchase, "heel them in" by placing the roots in a trench or hole and covering them with moist soil.

Hope this provides the information you need!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"