Leland Cypress - Knowledgebase Question

Alexandria, Vi
Question by cesylfrazier
Purchased 3 large Leland Cypresses last month.Now the foliage around bottom 3rd of 1 plant is falling off.Will it grow back?Any suggestions?I want the beautiful shrub--not money back!I had to rent the truck to transport them for my perfect new spot. Please help!

0

As they mature, leyland cypresses can lose their oldest, lowest branches so what you are seeing may be perfectly normal. There's not much you can do to stop this process but if you are using the plants as a screening hedge you may want to plant some evergreens beneath them to cover up the bare trunks. A concern might be Cercospora needle blight. It is a common and browning or blighting of the scales or needles typically starts on the inner portions of the lower branches near the base of the tree, progresses upward and outward toward the shoot tips. Take some of the affected foliage to your local cooperative extension office for a microscopic exam. If the disease is present, Banner Maxx will help control it. Be sure to follow application rates and frequency as listed on the product label. Sometimes poorly draining soils can hold too much water which can cause stress to the tree, showing up in dying branches and foliage. It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problem without being able to inspect the plant so for a positive diagnosis, take some of the affected plant material to your local extension office for professional help. Contact Virginia Cooperative Extension, King and Washington Sts., Alexandria. Phone (703) 838-4000?. Best wishes with your Leyland Cypresses.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"