Bougainvelleas - Knowledgebase Question

North Miami, Fl
Question by juliang_co
I am in Miami, superhot right now. I have four bougainvilleas two in 8 gallons pot and other two in my yard. They look dried and their leaves had this brown spots all over the place, also they bloom a little.
I water the plants every other day, put fertilizer every two months and they are expose to direct sun probably 10 hours.
What am I doing wrong?

0

If your plants are in full sunshine (they bloom best in full sun), hot sunshine directly hitting the containers can actually bake the roots. I wonder if that's what is happening to your plants? You can block the sun's rays by setting a small shrub or even a decorative rock in front of each pot to protect the roots from overheating. I'd also suggest withholding fertilizer until the plants recover. Those in the ground may be showing the same type of heat stress but as the weather cools down the new growth should look healthy. I'd prune them down to remove the unattractive foliage and to encourage healthy new growth. Don't feed them. Bougainvilleas bloom best in lean soil with very little water. Hope this provides some guidance.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"