double knock out roses? - Knowledgebase Question

Geneva, Il
Question by tikicooks
I bought 3 double knock out bushes from you about 1 month ago and planted, watered them and put mulch around them. When do I need to put the rose covers on them for the winter? Also, the plants seem to be eaten or chewed by something. They look like they have been pruned eventhough I have not done that. The tops are chewed off. Is it possilbe something is getting to them and what do I do about it?

0

Wait until after the first hard frost to place winter protection on your landscape plants. Knockout roses are extremely hardy and should get by with only mulch around the bases of the plants to protect the roots, crowns and grafts of the plants. You can pile up shredded leaves or straw, 5-6 inches thick. In the spring prune the roses back by one third to one half. I'm not sure what pest has feasted on your roses but I'm sure they will be gone this winter! Next spring begin monitoring your plants for insect pests. There's a product called Rose Defense that will control insect pests so if you're having problems with insects, you may want to make an application of Rose Defense. Be sure to follow label directions. Best wishes with your Knockout Roses!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"