hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Lakeside, Ca
Question by bearfoot20
I've bought 2 beautiful plants and I've had them inside and they're dying on me already. I have no trees around the house for shade and I've probably killed 4 plants this year. So figured they got too hot. What else do I need to do to keep them growing? I think they are gorgeous!

0

Hydrangeas can grow outside in your gardening region (9A) and although most plant tags indicate they like full sun, they actually will wilt in hot summer sunshine. That's why we recommend planting them in morning sun and afternoon shade. They grow best in rich, well amended soil and need ample water during the growing months. Since you have no trees to provide shade, you can plant them on the east side of the house where they will get morning sun but the house will shade them from hot afternoon sun. Or you can grow them indoors. Generally, the low light levels normally found indoors will keep them from blooming. If you have really bright light indoors you can set them back away from the windows so they don't get direct sunshine, but so they can benefit from the bright light. Hope you find just the right spot for your hydrangeas.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"