Hibiscus in Washington winter - Knowledgebase Question

Wenatchee, Wa
Question by dcooper718
I have a Hibiscus (rosa-sinensis) and i want it to survive the winter in Eastern Washington (we get snow). It was around the pool during the summer and did terrific. Should I bring indoors for winter or can it stay in garage and go dormant for winter?

Your tropical hibiscus is evergreen and will not go into a natural dormancy so sitting in the garage is not the way for it to spend the winter months. Instead, it should be taken indoors and treated like a houseplant. Take yours indoors in the fall before temperatures drop below 55 degrees. Gradually acclimate it to being indoors by moving it to a partially shaded area for a week or two prior to coming inside. This helps it adjust to the lower indoor light levels and avoids temperature shock. Once indoors, provide average room temperature with high humidity, good air circulation (but no drafts) and very bright light. It may drop some leaves when first indoors but once it has adjusted you can prune it back to encourage new stems and foliage. I hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"