pumpkin plant growing inside of an actual pumpkin - Knowledgebase Question

Sheffield Lake, Oh
Question by luckypineapp
This year my mom picked up pumpkins from the store. When we wnet to carve them, one pupmkin had another pumpkin plant growing inside of it. The plant inside the pumpkin was about 5 to 6 inches long. Do you think the plant will continue to grow if i plant it in soil? It was pretty cool!

0

It is kind of cool, isn't it? What happened is that the pumpkin your mom bought was fully mature and it probably sat outdoors in the sunshine. Lots of stores I know put their pumpkins in big bins outdoors because a whole shipment of pumpkins can take up lots of room inside a store. As your pumpkin was sitting out in the sunshine, the mature seeds inside got warm and one of them sprouted. I'm surprised it actually grew leaves, but since it did, it is capable of growing into a plant. The important thing is that it needs its own root system that you can separate from the mother pumpkin. If so, you can plant it in moist potting soil. It you can do this, your plant will grow for you. It loves sunshine, though, and warm temperatures so it probably won't flower and produce pumpkins for you, but it might turn into an interesting vining plant that you can enjoy for a month or two. Enjoy your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"