bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

new york city, Ne
Question by leecaj
November 1, 2009
I have planted tulips and daffodils a few weeks ago , now they are starting to grow through. Is there anything I need to do to reverse this or will it be ok and they will return in ground when the weather gets colder.Also will they bloom in spring.

November 1, 2009

0

Sometimes bulbs actually sprout and we then get a hard frost or snow. It doesn't seem to bother them at all. Tulips are very cold tolerant and snow is a good insulator. Another possibility is that they were planted too shallowly. Ideally, they need to be set deep enough that there is about 6 inches of soil on top of the bulb. You might try covering them with mulch to give them a bit more insulation during the colder months. When the weather turns cold they should stop growing until it warms up again next spring. They will bloom right on time.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "