How to make my hydrangeas Blue? - Knowledgebase Question

Riverside, Ca
Question by gardendiva91
November 1, 2009
When and what do I add to the soil to make this happen? I have tried in the past and have beautiful pink blooms but I really want blue.

November 1, 2009

0

Pink and red hydrangeas often turn blue or purple in acid soils. Blue hydrangeas can turn pink in alkaline soils. Plants can be made (or kept) blue by applying aluminum sulfate to the soil; plants can be kept pink by liming the soil or applying superphosphate. Since your soil is alkaline, as evidenced by the change from blue to pink, add aluminum sulfate to the soil this fall and next year's blooms should be blue. Simply mix 3-4 Tablespoons of aluminum sulfate to a gallon of water and use it to water your hydrangea once every 6 weeks beginning this fall. When flower buds begin to form next spring, stop applying the soil conditioner. The flowers should be blue. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "