Wintering Four O'clocks plants - Knowledgebase Question

Upper Arlington, Oh
Question by nadinerobert
November 2, 2009
I planted 5 Four O'clocks this Spring. I was wondering what I do to keep them thru the winter. I am unsure of what to do. I had heard they are a tubers that need to be dug up and brought in over the winter. Is this correct? Or, do you just mulch them and leave them in the ground ? I am not even sure if they are an annual or a perennial. I live in Central Ohio. Thank-you

November 2, 2009

Four O' Clocks are annual plants. They're native to Peru so they are quite tender and won't survive your winter climate. However, they seem to freely self-sow so you are likely to have new plants sprouting up in the spring. Wait until frost kills your Four O' Clocks down, then pull them up, roots and all. With any luck you'll have new plants sprouting in the bed next spring when the weather warms. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"