converting lawn to vegetable garden - Knowledgebase Question

Mission Viejo, Ca
Question by mosmith9
November 2, 2009
I want to convert my lawn, which is now dead (I stopped watering it a couple months ago), into a vegetable garden. Where do I start? Do I till the soil? Do I use the

November 2, 2009

Although the lawn is dead, there may be seeds lurking in the soil beneath the grass. You can keep these from sprouting by digging and overturning the soil so the old lawn in face down. Seeds won't sprout without sunlight. This is one step of the lasagne method. After turning the turf over, cover it with several thicknesses of newspaper or a sheet of cardboard, then top that with some shredded leaves or compost. By next spring the organic matter and the newspaper/cardboard will have decomposed enough that you can dig holes and plant veggie transplants. After planting, cover the bare soil between the plants with more newspapers and top it off with some compost. At the end of the gardening season rototill or dig everything into the soil and top with several inches of organic matter. By the following spring you should have nice garden loam and no weeds in your veggie garden. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"