RUBBER TREE - Knowledgebase Question

BROOMALL, Pe
Question by PAULINEAMORO
November 2, 2009
I have a pot with three plants. Is it possible to separate them without doing damage to the roots that would prevent growth? Can I just slice through the entangled growth of roots and repot individually? Or should I just repot to a larger container? From top of soil, the plants are about two and one-half feet high and just as wide.
Thank you for your response.

November 2, 2009

0

It's difficult to make a judgement call without being able to closely inspect the plant. It may be that your rubber tree has multiple stems attached to a single root mass (they may be connected below the soil surface). Or, it may be that you actually have 3 separate plants in a single container. If so, it's likely the plant can be split in thirds, effectively separating the plant into three, as long as each stem has roots to support the canopy. New roots would quickly form at the edges of the separating cuts. This isn't too difficult an operation, but I would only do this in the summer when the plant is vigorously growing. This time of year growth is slowing and while you can divide and conquer, it will take longer for the plant to recover and for new roots to develop. Best wishes with your rubber tree plant.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "