heather - Knowledgebase Question

Kensington, Ma
Question by annkavi
November 3, 2009
hi my scotch heather looks like the roots are brown towards the bottom? what's wrong and is there anyway to save the plant, the top part looks ok and even has the typical pink flowering. thanks

November 3, 2009

0

Sounds as though you need to prune your heather back a little to promote healthy new stems and foliage. If you make it a habit of pruning your heather after each bloom period, you'll remove the bare stems and promote healthy new growth. My heathers bloom 3-4 times a year and I always cut off the faded flowers by pruning with a hedge trimmer to just below the spent flowers. You can do this by hand, but if your heather is large, an electric trimmer makes the task much easier! Best wishes with your heather.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"