Growing Edelweiss - Knowledgebase Question

Sheboygan, WI
Question by bfeld
Can you tell me where I can get Edelweiss plants or seeds? If you have info on how to grow them this would be helpful also.

0

Seed for edelweiss is available from Thompson & Morgan, PO Box 1308, Jackson, NJ 08527, ph# 800/274-7333, website www.thompson-morgan.com. It's best suited to gardens that mimic it's alpine home - rock gardens and the like. Sow seed outdoors in early spring, when a light frost is still likely, or start seeds indoors 8-10 weeks before your last frost. Sprinkle seeds on the soil surface and just press them into place - they need light to germinate. Seed likes cool temperatures (around 50F), and can take a long time to germinate - anywhere from 2-6 weeks! To improve germination rate, place seed between sheets of moist paper towel, and put it in a plastic bag of moistened soil medium. Put the bag in the fridge for 3 weeks to break seed dormancy. Transplant seedlings 3-6" apart in gravelly soil that is near neutral (pH 6.5-7.5) in partial shade, where they will get good snow cover in winter. If snow cover is sparse or unpredictable, mulch the plants lightly in fall and remove it as soon as possible in early spring. Divide plants every second spring to keep them thriving.