Right Plant - Knowledgebase Question

houston, Te
Question by cstaylor
November 3, 2009
Are the dwarf ixora suitable to be planted in a raised brick flower bed attached to my front porch? If not what do you recommed that would survive here in Texas? The bed is L shaped and about 13 feet long and 20 inches wide

November 3, 2009

0

Without seeing the planter, I'm going to assume the soil is dry and the area is hot. In this case, lantana, purple sage, red yucca, achillea, aloe, dwarf bottlebrush, dwarf cassia, coreopsis, tritoma, lavender, matilija poppy (romneya), bush germander, agave, artemesia, iceplant, centaurea, dusty miller, yucca, bougainvillea, cape honeysuckle, rosemary, and santolina are good choices. Ixora is heat tolerant but is frost tender so it may be damaged in the winter if it gets cold enough. Generally they do okay in Houston, but it's something to keep in mind. Best wishes with your planter!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"