insect/disease on Pentas - Knowledgebase Question

Jupiter, Fl
Question by pdmiegel
November 4, 2009
I live in S. Florida. Each time I plant Pentas in the ground within a couple of days the leaves begin to be stricken with brownish areas all over. Then travel from plant to plant-what is the problem?

November 4, 2009

Without seeing the plants, it's difficult to make an accurate diagnosis. In general, though, newly transplanted perennials go through an adjustment period before they establish and grow well. It's unusual for them to contract a disease within a few days of planting. So rather than a disease, I suspect the planting area or the care you're giving your plants is causing the browning. Try again, but this time amend the soil with some organic matter prior to planting. Organic matter will help your soil drain well, yet hold just the right amount of moisture for the roots. Water immediately after planting, then allow the top half inch of soil to dry out before watering again. And, try to keep water off the foliage. Spots of water in the hot sunshine can burn the leaves. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"