Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Flushing, Mi
Question by coleyar
November 4, 2009
My hydrangea plants get very large and full each year but have not flowered in the last three years. I have tried cutting them down in the fall and not cutting them. Nothing seems to work. I had beautiful flowers the first couple years then nothing! Help!

November 4, 2009

The problem could be weather related or it might indicate that your hydrangea is not getting adequate sunshine. Four hours of morning sun is usually enough to get hydrangeas to bloom. Perhaps things have changed in your garden over the past few years and your plant is not getting enough sunshine. Or, it may be that the weather was perfect the first two years you had the plant, but it isn't quite right for it now. Hydrangea macrophylla, the common blue hydrangea, produces flowers on new shoots which develop on old wood. If your plant freezes down to ground level each winter, or if you prune it down each spring, it will never have old wood on which to develop flowering stems. It may never bloom for you. You may want to replace your hydrangea with one of the newer cultivars which bloom on new wood (Endless Summer, for instance). Hope this information helps you decide just what might be going on with your hydrangea! Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"