Cyclamen plant care - Knowledgebase Question

Catonsville, Ma
Question by jgobel37
November 5, 2009
I just purchased a blooming cyclamen. I would like a few suggestions how to keep it healthy and blooming through out the winter months. How much light? temp? etc. Thanks

November 5, 2009

Hardy cyclamen bloom outdoors in the late winter so I think you've purchased a florist's cyclamen which has been forced into bloom for the holidays. Cyclamen persicum does best planted in a soilless potting mix, with the top of the tuber just slightly above the soil line. Water whenever the soil feels dry. Avoid getting water on the crown of the plant. You can prune off the flowers as they fade and when the plant stops producing new flowers, it's going into a dormant stage. At this time allow the plant to dry out for 2-3 months. When new growth starts, resume watering and feeding. High humidity, especially during winter, is crucial. Keep the cyclamen on a tray of water with a layer of pebbles or something else to form a shelf for the cyclamen pot to sit on. Do not let the cyclamen itself sit in the water.

Feed with a low-nitrogen fertilizer every couple of weeks while in full leaf. Give your cyclamen bright, indirect light in the winter.

Enjoy your cyclamen!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"