Christmas Cactus - Knowledgebase Question

Catonsville, Ma
Question by jgobel37
November 5, 2009
I have three christmas cactus, several years old. What is best fertilizer to encourage blooming? Should I fertilize through out the year or justin the fall?

November 5, 2009

It's daylength, rather than fertilizer, that makes Christmas Cactus bloom during the holidays. To make sure buds will set for late December bloom, keep the plant where it will receive cool night temperatures (50 -55 degrees), and 12 - 14 hours of darkness per day during November.

It's too late for this year, but next November 1st, try putting in a closet 14 out of every 24 hours.

When you feed your Christmas cactus, use a water soluable liquid fertilizer such as Miracle Gro, Peter's or Schultz's and dilute it by half strength. Feed in spring and again in mid summer. Best wishes with your Christmas cactus!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"