bromeliad - Knowledgebase Question

pittsburgh, Pe
Question by margeb111
November 5, 2009
Is there any way to get a bromeliad to flower?..I have a beautiful plant that had a flower on it when I bought it. The flower lasted for about eight months. The plant is three years old and is multiplying and has two new side shoots that are growing beautifully. Can you help me? Thanks, Marge

November 5, 2009

0

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a bromeliad only flowers once. After flowering it will produce offshoots and when the offshoots are old enough to be separated and grown on their own, the mother bromeliad will die. Don't remove the offshoots from the mother plant until they're about 1/3 the size of the mom, or until you can see the root mass forming. At that time, remove by cutting them from the mother plant pot them up on their own. When they are mature enough, they will flower for you. In the meantime, enjoy your bromeliad family!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"