Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Copperas Cove, Te
Question by zincyellowst
November 5, 2009
I have flower beds around the bottom of my trees. Can I cover these up for the winter, like drape a plastic (greenhouse effect) cover over the plants instead of removing them?

November 5, 2009

While it sounds like an easy solution to digging and storing plants, plastic will essentially suffocate them. You'd need to open up the covering to allow fresh air to enter and carbon dioxide to escape and in doing so you may expose your plants to freezing temperatures - which will defeat the purpose of covering to protect them from winter weather. It will be healthier for your trees and your plants, and the soil, to remove the plants, cover over the beds with fallen leaves or straw to suppress winter weeds, and then replant in the spring.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"