Garden Mum - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by paco165
November 5, 2009
My chrysanthemums have bloomed. The plant looks healthy but it has bloomed out. What should I do next with these plants.

November 5, 2009

0

Mums are a short day plant, which means they form flowers when the nights get longer. After the flowers decline, cut the stems back into the fuller portion of the plant. New green shoots should begin to grow and may form a few new flower buds. This may continue well into the spring months but in most cases what you will get is a sporadic cluster of blooms but it will still add color to the garden if you do not mind the wait and fewer blooms.

What many gardeners do is remove potted mums from their containers or flower beds when they are finished blooming and replace them with other plants such as poinsettias. In South Florida mums tend to be treated like annuals and tossed on the compost pile when flowering is finished.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"