Rye Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Gilbert, Ar
Question by locamary
November 6, 2009
I have a bag of rye grass that is 2 yrs old. If I seed my lawn for the winter am I wasting my time or will the 2 yr old rye grass grow?

November 6, 2009

0

Grass seeds remain viable for several years, especially if it has been stored in a cool, dry location. If you're not sure about your seeds, you can do a little pre-germination test. Take 10 or 20 seeds and spread them out on a dampened paper towel. Fold the towel over and place it in a plastic baggie. Leave it on your kitchen counter where it is warm and check it in 7-10 days. You can count the sprouted seeds to see what percentage of germination you get. If you get 80-90 percent germination you can broadcast the seeds at the recommended seeding rate. If you get only 50 percent germination you'll need to double the sowing rate. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"