Pruning Lady Banksia Rose - Knowledgebase Question

Dallas, Te
Question by livesay7
November 6, 2009
My Lady Banksia Roses need pruning after they bloom in the spring, I assume. How do I determine which canes to remove & how long should a cane be & how many should be left? The bushes are huge and cascade over walls.

November 6, 2009

You are correct - the best time to prune your Lady Banks is after she has finished flowering. When you begin pruning, look for branches that are very old. These will be a gray/brown color rather than green. Older stems do not produce flowers, but they do produce side stems that produce flowers. Too many old stems leads to a mass of dull colored growth with leaves and flowers a few feet away. Prune out the oldest of these stems to keep the shrub vigorous and healthy. In general prune out one third of the oldest stems per year. Lady Banks blooms on new shoots that develop on old wood, so retaining some of the old wood will ensure you have lots of flowers each year. You can prune the canes down to any height. New shoots will develop and new flowers will appear from just below the pruning cut. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"