transfer hibiscus from out to indoor - Knowledgebase Question

Breckenridge, Co
Question by terrip0
November 7, 2009
I live in Breckenridge CO at 10,000'. I bought a Hibuscus rosa-sinensis last summer and left it outside in its pot till September. I brought it in and want to nurture it through the cold months. Please advise re water, temperature, fertilizer, cutting back, etc. Thank you.

November 7, 2009

0

Hibiscus often spends summer months outdoors and winter months inside. Take yours indoors in the fall before temperatures drop below 55 degrees. Gradually acclimate it to being indoors by moving it to a partially shaded area for a week or two prior to coming inside. This helps it adjust to the lower indoor light levels and avoids temperature shock. Once indoors, provide average room temperature with high humidity, good air circulation (but no drafts) and very bright light. It may drop some leaves when first indoors but once it has adjusted you can prune it back to encourage new stems and foliage. Water thoroughly when the top of the soil begins to dry out but don't feed until next spring. I hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"