Cannas - Knowledgebase Question

Auburn, Ca
Question by jbwong1
November 7, 2009
My cannas were planted about 4 years ago and they flowered for a few years but I had only one bloom this year. Why? Need fertilizer? The leaves look healthy.

November 7, 2009

Cannas are usually reliable plants and bloom freely if they are planted in full sunshine. It may be that yours are overcrowded after 4 years and are competing for nutrients and moisture. It's an easy fix - just dig and divide them. In the spring you can feed them with a 10-10-10 general purpose fertilizer. There's just one problem common to cannas and that's a leaf roller. These little pests can feed inside an unopened flower bud. If your plants are developing flowers but the flowers are not opening, this may be the cause. The control is to simply break or cut off the affected flower buds. If the unopened flower buds wither on the stem, that's the most likely problem. Hope this information helps you determine just what the problem might be. Best wishes with your cannas!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"